Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Transformers 2

Ok, I just got back from watching the surprise (NOT!) blockbuster of this summer - Transformers 2, and before I continue with this post, I need to go take a cold shower... Why? This is why...

I'd wreck my bike just so The Fox can fix it...

..........

Wha---? Ok.... Able to focus again....

Man, if the reports of how Korean star Rain rejected her is true, the guy has got to be the gayest person on the face of the Earth!

Anyway, back to the movie. I must admit I wasn't really into the first Transformers, though most people were piling praise on it. I thought there was just way too much human and too little robots. If I wanted to watch Army folk and Shia LaBeouf jabber away, I'd go watch Indiana Jones 4 instead. And what was with that scene where the Autobots were trying to hide from Sam's family by going hide-and-seek all over the house? I mean, this is Optimus Prime we are talking about here! I wanted to see him and the other big robot kick major steel butt, and there just wasn't enough of that going on (except for that cool Optimus fight scene where he shows Bonecrusher who's boss).

Well, there's a whole lot more robot butt-whooping in the sequel! And a lot less human, or at least the scenes with the humans now were more tolerable, especially the ones with Agent Simmons (John Turturro). I think there's just the right balance now as most time is spent expanding on Sam's (Shia LaBeouf) and Mikaela's (Megan Fox) characters, with just serviceable screen time for the supporting cast.

Now back to the robot butt-whooping. There was this one scene in the movie where Optimus took on a team of Decepticons in the forest trying to protect Sam. This scene really reminded me of the 1987 animated movie's classic scene, using Stan Bush's The Touch as the background.



Man, that movie was the bomb... I still think it's a classic up until today. I remember my friends and I were just so shocked that the animated movie killed off Optimus that we were just numb.

Whoops! Perhaps some people didn't know that Optimus was killed off in the cartoon series back in 1987 to clear off some shelf-space for Hasbro to introduce new toy models... My bad, but don't worry... He was resurrected later, after the the producers got swamped with fan mail from people who protested killing off Prime.

Ok, so spoiler alert! I'm about to go into some rants about Transformers 2 next, so if you haven't watched it yet, come back after you have.....

OK... Ready? Good!

I really do like Transformers 2. Much more than I do the first movie as I think I'm getting more of what I paid for this time around. However, I do have a couple of gripes...

Firstly, what's with all the toilet humor? I mean, do we really need to look at Devastator's balls? This is even lower (pun not intended...) than when Bumblebee peed on Agent Simmons in the first movie. Wonder if Devastator's balls will be included in the new toy line. Gotta keep it real right?

Is that all you've got? I thought you were made of sterner stuff!

Second, last and biggest gripe of the movie - What an anti-climatic final fight scene between Optimus, Megatron and The Fallen!!! How long did it last? 5 minutes? After all the hype about how only a Prime can defeat The Fallen, it ends way, waaaaay too quickly. Ok, Prime might be jacked up on Jetfire's spare parts, but Megatron and The Fallen could have piled on some pain first before getting their asses handed to them. Really a let down after all the high-octane action throughout the movie.

Well, all in all, Transformers 2 was a good watch. And listen too! If there is ever a movie that proves that THX rocks in cinemas, it's Transformers 2! BOOM BOOM POW!

Go watch it if you haven't already. Or if it's still full at your favourite cinema, wait a couple more days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is released. Should easily be able to get tickets then.

No comments: