Sunday, July 12, 2009

1st encounter with snatch thieves

Today I had my first encounter with snatch thieves. At was about 3pm and I just finished lunch and was buying something from a road side stall in SS2 and suddenly I felt a tug on the gold chain that I wear around my neck.

I initially thought it a friend who had spotted me and was just fooling around. But when I turned around, there were these 2 people speeding off on a motorcycle. People around me there was a male and female and they were either Indonesian or Malay.

I was just shocked and the only thing I could do was curse and swear at them as they sped off.

I looked down and found that my chain had gotten caught to my shirt and so those 2 scumbags didn't get away with anything as well. The people around me were nice enough to ask if I was ok and thankfully I was. I only had some red marks at the back of my nice where the thieves tried to grab my chain.

Marks of a thief

It's just appalling how snatch thefts have become so rampant around Malaysia. They are so daring that they are brave enough to try their stunts in broad daylight along a crowded street, with total disregard to who they are stealing from, whether it is a man, woman or the elderly. Heck, I'm even surprised they tried to snatch something from me, considering that I'm a fairly big-sized guy. I guess these people are just desperate and willing to do anything now for a quick buck.

Snatch thieves are the bane of Malaysian society. Simple as that. They are the cause of so many injuries and even deaths here in Malaysia that any member of society should be allowed to go postal on their ass if they are caught in the act.

I'm just thankful that my encounter was not a major one and I didn't lose anything or get hurt. Perhaps I shouldn't wear my chain out anymore eh?

No comments: